Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, is a condition which cannot be cured. It is possible for the symptoms of PCOS to be managed, however. Women who suffer from this condition should be sure to talk about all of the potential PCOS treatment options, as the right treatment will be different for every individual.
Common PCOS Treatment Options
There are a number of different treatments which are recommended by doctors for those who suffer from PCOS. Each of the following treatments are used to treat certain symptoms which are associated with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Birth control pills are the most common PCOS treatment. They can help regulate menstrual periods, clear up acne, and may also help prevent hair growth in PCOS patients. The idea behind birth control pill as a treatment for PCOS is that it can help regulate hormone levels.
- Fertility medications are often prescribed to PCOS patients who are trying to become pregnant. There are several other PCOS treatment options which can help a woman become pregnant, such as in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and ovarian drilling.
- Anti-androgens are used to help reduce facial hair growth and acne. The reason women with polycystic ovary syndrome experience these symptoms is because of an overproduction of androgens, or male hormones. This PCOS treatment can be very effective at reducing symptoms by blocking androgens.
Lifestyle Changes for PCOS Treatment
Obesity is one of the most dangerous symptoms that is caused by polycystic ovary syndrome. Due to obesity, many women with this condition experience diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. While doctors may recommend other PCOS treatment options, they will almost always advise patients to follow a well-balanced diet and exercise regimen.
Other PCOS Treatment Options
A few treatments for PCOS are being used to manage certain symptoms of the condition. Although these treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome are not always recommended by doctors, they are becoming popular options for sufferers of the condition.
- Laser hair removal is a PCOS treatment which is used to get rid of facial hair. Remember that it is important to only have this procedure done by a certified professional only. While laser hair removal can be pricey and may require more than one session, it is an effective way to get rid of facial hair.
- Weight loss surgery is often recommended as one of the available PCOS treatment options. It may be effective at reducing polycystic ovary syndrome in morbidly women, according to the National Women’s Health Information Center. It can also reduce the serious health risks associated with obesity, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Many PCOS treatment options are available to women who suffer from the condition. Since polycystic ovary syndrome causes symptoms which can be deadly, it is important to talk to the doctor about suitable treatments. Managing PCOS symptoms and healthy lifestyle changes can make the condition easier to live with.